If you are seeking to reveal more impactful insights, improve decision making, find hidden opportunities, find out who you are and where you are, stimulate entrepreneurship, establish a shared vision for a workplace or new project, improve project leadership, accelerate innovation, surface hidden issues, clarify values, roles and identities, integrate new teams and team members, resolve conflicts, integrate diverse cultures or discuss the undiscussable – then LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® may be just what you are looking for.
The LEGO® Serious Play® Methodology is a facilitated meeting, communication and problem-solving process that leads participants through a series of questions which probe deeper and deeper into the into the subject. Each participant builds their own LEGO® model in response to the facilitator’s questions. These models then serve as a basis for group discussion, knowledge sharing, problem solving and decision making.
The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® Methodology improves group problem solving. Utilising visual, auditory and kinesthetic skills, it requires participants to listen and learn and provides all participants with a voice.
The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® Methodology is a radical, innovative, experimental process designed to enhance business performance.
Why use the Lego® Serious Play® Methodology?
- Is a facilitated technique that unlocks the potential of all participants in the workshop
- At its core, is about solving complex issues by building models using LEGO® Bricks. The metaphors in the models serve as the basis for group discussion, knowledge sharing and problem solving and help foster creative thinking and finding unique solutions
- Is based on a robust set of theories and was developed by the LEGO® group
All LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® workshops are group processes designed around a relatively limited number of core concepts. The models built during the workshops can be configured in a number of ways to best meet your organisations needs.
A workshop based on the LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® materials and methodology varies in number of participants and time depending on the topic. Usually a one full-day session is effective. At its shortest, the session takes about three or four hours but can also be used as an icebreaker / energiser at a company conference. The longest sessions (generally when used for complex or challenging issues or when developing strategies, can run for up to three days.
Organisations use LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology when:
- They want to unlock the full potential of their employees (or potential employees – yes you can use the methodology for recruitment interviews and induction training)
- They want everyone to participate, contribute and commit to the solution.
The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® methodology can be used for a number of situations from recruitment interviews to induction, from team building to conference ice breakers, from problem solving to developing an organisational strategy, the list is endless. LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® is particularly effective when:
- The subject is complex and multifaceted and there is a need to focus on the bigger picture, find connections and explore options and potential solutions
- It is important to reach decisions which everyone commits to and honors after the workshop even though they may not agree 100%
- Asking each team member or participant the same question results in substantially different answers
- Everyone in the group has an interest or stake in what is on the agenda
- It is important that everyone participates in the discussions and contributes with their knowledge and opinions
- You want to increase team understanding of an issues or a situation and at the same time avoid frustration
- You want to use time efficiently
- There are no obvious answers
- You want to gain new learning, insights and new ways of thinking
- You want to deal with tough and complex issues in a constructive atmosphere
- It is vital that participants speak their true feelings without intimidating anyone or being intimidated
- You have a situation in which a people dominate the discussion and you want to break that routine without offending anyone
- You have a group that feels meetings tend to be a waste of time
- You want to create a level playing field for discussion
- Your meetings or learning events tend to focus on the messengers rather than on the messages
- You want to avoid excuses or lack of initiative after the meeting
- There’s a risk participants feel they were not heard or involved in the decision
- You want to ensure that all participants share a common understanding and frame of reference.
The LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY® programs are being used at companies across the globe who are looking for innovative ways to increase the commitment, confidence and insight of their executives, managers and employees. The programs can be used for a broad range of purposes, including (but not limited to):
- Strategy development and exploration
- Organisational development – For management, teams and individual employees
- Innovation and product development – Unleash creative thinking and transform ideas into concrete concepts
- Change management – Facilitate and implement structured changes and mergers.
- Scenario development and testing
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Leadership and Team Development
- Market Entry
- Operational Efficiency
- Competitive Analysis.
LEGO® SERIOUS PLAY®…It is Play with a Purpose!